Reishi mushroom has anti-cancerous, immunomodulating, cardiovascular improving, respiratory improving, anti-hepatotoxic, antinociceptive, anti neoplastic properties (Anonymous, 1997).
They have been used in the treatment of / proved effective on chronic hepatitis (Lin et al., 1985), hyperlipemia (Zhong et al., 1973), neurasthenia (Xin et al., 1976), leucopenia (Zhong et al., 1995), cancer (Harhaji et al., 2009, Sheena et al., 2005), antibiotic and cardiovascular improvement (Hand book of chinese herbs, 1996), hepatopathy, nephritis, hypertension, arthritis, insomnia, bronchitis, asthma, gastric ulcer, arteriosclerosis, diabetes, anorexia (Stamets, 1993, John and Birmingham, 1992 and Mizuno et al., 1992), Dermatological disorders (Xi et al., 1984), Frost bites (Lin et al., 1986). Further, the substances extracted from the mushrooms can reduce blood pressure, blood cholesterol and blood sugar level as well as inhibition of platelet aggregation. The regular consumption of Reishimushroom powder was believed to preserve the human vitality and to promote longevity (Guest editorial of ‘Leukemia Research’ journal, 2006). According to the medical professionals two capsules of each RG and GL has to be taken daily for a minimum of six months to improves the immunity and rejuvenate the health.
- Anonymous. 1997. International Journal of Cancer. 70(6):699-705.
- Guest editorial, 2006. Ganoderma lucidum in cancer research. Leukemia Research 30: 767–768
- Handbook Of Chinese Herbs. Institute of Chinese Medicine, 1996.
- Harhaji Trajkovic, L. M., Mijatovic, S. A., Maksimovic Ivanic, D.D., Stojanovic, I.D., Momcilovic, M. B., Tufegdzic, S. J., Maksimovic, V. M., Marjanovic, Z. S. and Stosic Grujicic, S. D. 2009. Anticancer properties of Ganoderma lucidum methanol extracts in vitro and in vivo. Nutr Cancer. 61(5):696-707. doi: 10.1080/01635580902898743.
- John, S.C., Birmingham, J. M. 1992. Advances in Applied Microbiology. 37: 101–134.
- Lin Chuan Pi Fu Ke Za Zhi (Clinical Journal of Dermatology), 1986; 6:296
- Lin Chuan, Gan Dan Bing and Za Zhi. 1985. Clinical Journal of Hepatic and Gallbladder Diseases. 4:242.
- Mizuno, G. Y., Wang, J., Zhang, H., Kawagishi, T., Nishitoba, J. X. Li. 1995. International Food reviews 11: 151–166.
- Stamets, P. 1993. Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms, Ten Speed Press, Berkeley.
- Xi Yao Yan Jiu Tong Xun (Research Journal of Medicine and Herbology), 1984; 12:22
- Zhong Cao and Tong Xun. 1973. Journal of Chinese Herbs. 1:31.
- Zhong Hua, Xue Yi and Za Zhi. 1995. Chinese Journal of Hematology. 7:428.